Monday, September 6, 2010

Sept. 6, 2010

Happy Labor Day to all!

I saddled up a little late this a.m. , but I wasn't on a schedule.   I knew I had a longer drive, mostly climbing toward mile-high Denver!  Last night I checked the elevation of Hays, KS, just to see if my perception of "going up" had been correct.  It was!  From Kansas City (800' about) I climbed to about 2023'.  Today I added another 3000 or so feet; I think that's why my gas mileage is lower.  I just can't wait to see what the mileage is when I descend!

Well, what to say?  Kansas seems to grow more crops, one of which I need help identifying.  It looks a good bit like really short corn, but I don't think it is.

Crop unbeknownst to me ... help!
Any ideas?  It's a very common crop ... saw many fields with this plant.  Near where I took this picture is the following; I am pretty sure this is a very large cattle ranch.

Cattle Farm
Most of the area looked dry, but there was evidence of irrigation.  Colorado looked even drier, but the spaces rolled out before me as far as my eyes could see.  And it seems that Colorado has more ranching and fewer crops.  Those little steers are just out there wandering over the plains!
Colorado grazing land
Speaking of vistas, when I was 28 miles outside of Denver, I saw very faintly through the haze (odd since it was very dry today) the Rocky Mountains!  It was very cool ... at first they looked like a cloud bank, but there was something different about this cloud bank; it was darker and it didn't move an inch.

Tomorrow, part two of this adventure begins: a national park extravaganza.  L & C had segments, too: Mandan Village to Rockies, over and through the Rockies, the winter in the NW at Ft. Clatsop, and home. Many of the areas I'll be seeing in "my part two" are still Lewis and Clark areas, and I've just realized that my friend (who's joining me tomorrow) and I will be going very near the three forks region, where the Missouri River begins.  I think we have to stop!  We, like L & C, will be equal captains, but I'm sure since it's on the way, she'll want to see that!  Coordinates tonight are N 39 43.495' W 104 57.948'.  Today, when I was listening to Undaunted Courage again, they were often frustrated with taking measurements ... clouds would often interfere.  How lucky we are to have technological aids!  

3 comments:

  1. I think it's sorghum. It's drought tolerant and used for food, fodder and production of alcohol and biofuel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt Beth! I love that you started a blog about your trip and it is fun to vicariously travel with you! I am also voting for sorghum. It grows in SC near my parents and that is what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Carolyn and Marie. Now that you mention it, I think I've seen pictures of sorghum, and I agree with you. And I'm glad to know its uses, too ... what a useful plant!

    Good to hear from you both.

    ReplyDelete