Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sept. 4. 2010

Today I left St. Charles for Independence.  I felt like a "paraphrased version" of William Johnston, whom I quoted in my post of Sept. 1.   I looked in my rearview window for a farewell look, conscious of the fact that I was leaving the east and was heading for the Rocky Mountains.  It's a bit like his, don't you think?

I drove on I 70 to Boonville and found a couple of very interesting historic marks north of the Missouri River near there.  My photo speaks volumesI hope you can read it.



I continued another 100 miles to Independence, MO (N 39 2.483'
W 94 20.901').  I went directly to the Harry Truman Library and Museum.  It is like a history of my growing up years: WW II, Cold War, Korean War.
They had two exceptional exhibits about decision making.  A problem was outlined and then the viewers voted on which factor they thought influenced the president most: special interest
groups/public opinion, personal belief,
long term national interest, advisers.  It was hard, but very instructive!

The pictures at the right are Truman's offices: the upper photo is his Oval Office (I thought it would be fun for you to see since the Obama's Oval Office has just been redone.  The lower photo is his office in the library.  Harry liked books a lot, which shows.

Harry, Bess, Margaret, and her husband are buried in the central courtyard.  It is very beautiful there, and there is the following quote on one wall.


The weather surpassed yesterday and that is difficult to say, but it was gorgeous ... sunny with very few clouds, breezy, 75, very low humidity.  Magnificent barely describes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment